Photography Bay Community
July 25, 2017, 11:49:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Congratulations  (Read 7438 times)
forkboy1965

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2011, 08:28:36 pm »

I'm curious Photography Bay, what spawned the desire to create this forum?

Not that I'm complaining.  I'm just curious.
Eric Reagan
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 10:16:56 pm »

Hey forkboy,

It's something I've wanted to do for a while.  In fact, I previously rolled out a forum; however, the software was not as robust as the current version and there was the problem with spam.

Additionally, spam comments on older Photography Bay posts were getting out of control.  When I did the site refresh a couple of weeks back, I also closed comments on posts older than 90 days.  This cut down on spam dramatically; however, it also means that people arriving at older reviews or other posts for the first time won't be able to continue the conversation.  So, I want to be able to let people continue those conversations here - but I'm still exploring how the forum will connect with the overall site.

Finally, even the new posts that allow comments are held for moderation, which is something you've probably noticed since you comment regularly.  This moderation queue is another unfortunate side effect of spam comments.  With a forum, everyone can communicate instantly.  I suspect that we'll still have to address spam issues, but I think there are better ways to combat it if we've got a thriving community of participants.  And, you can create topics that aren't necessarily covered on Photography Bay's home page.

Right now, we are still testing things out, so I appreciate any participation, thoughts or feedback that you have to offer.  If it looks like something that the Photography Bay community wants, we'll roll it out and integrate it in some manner with the rest of the site.

Thanks.
cwiddie

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 04:25:41 am »

Really looking forward to this forum taking off! Smiley
At first glance I have to give a huge thumbs up to its design and outlay. 
I will be recommending to photog friends.... the poor prople sign up ther better it will become wont it?
cwiddie

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 04:46:01 am »

Hi Eric

I received the newletter this morning and realised there was no mention of the forum in it. If  wrote a small piece about the forum and put a link to the forum on that, it may help with spreading the word to existing subscribers perhaps!

Just a suggestion.... please dont think I'm being rude! Wink
Eric Reagan
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 04:55:52 am »

Hi Eric

I received the newletter this morning and realised there was no mention of the forum in it. If  wrote a small piece about the forum and put a link to the forum on that, it may help with spreading the word to existing subscribers perhaps!

Just a suggestion.... please dont think I'm being rude! Wink

Hey cwiddie,

Glad you like things so far.

As far as the newsletter goes, I'm going to take things slow to make sure I've got all the kinks worked out before I fully integrate it with the site and ask all of the newsletter subscribers (over 30k) to join in.

In a way, it's kind of an open beta test right now.  And, I'm still learning my way around the software myself.  I hope dedicated folks like you and forkboy can help me make sure that it's ready for prime time before we open the doors to the rest of the world.

Thanks again.
forkboy1965

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 02:02:36 am »

Thanks for all the information Eric.

I know I've been coming round to PB for a while now, but I think I'm still rather new to the site in general and didn't know of all the spam problems you were having or that there was a former forum site.

Looking forward to seeing how it goes for you and PB followers.
melphoto60

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 11:27:49 am »

Eric was wondering how to post photos only thing i found was using flicker, is there any other way to post  Smiley
Eric Reagan
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 03:26:21 pm »

Eric was wondering how to post photos only thing i found was using flicker, is there any other way to post  Smiley

You can upload small images under 128KB by clicking the "Additional Options..." menu below the post input window. It will look like the one I've uploaded to this post.

You can also embed photos directly from other locations on the web using the same process as in the Flickr tutorial.  Just right-click the image and choose "Copy Image Location...) and then paste the image location where the Flickr URL would otherwise go.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: