Photography Bay Community
May 28, 2017, 03:21:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Camera or Lens(s)  (Read 5229 times)
forkboy1965

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2011, 05:05:19 pm »

I recognize that in the not-too-distant future I will be seeing my income drop markedly.  And I further recognize that purchasing new camera equipment will become difficult, if not impossible, for at least four or five years.

I currently own a Canon 40D along with some nice glass which covers my needs well.  This includes the 50mm f/1.4, the 70-200mm f/4, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 and 100mm macro.  At this point I can't say there is any glass I really feel the need or urge to own.  And while I may like to add some more lighting options to my kit I don't consider their costs to be prohibitive in my future.

My question is thus:  do I spend the bucks I have available right now to move up to the 7D OR do I bank my cash and save it for potential glass options in the foreseeable future?

I'm inclined to make the move to the 7D as I'm very confident some of my photographic habits would be enhanced via the prowess the 7D brings to the table over my 40D (in particular the better metering, the higher res sensor (good for my macro work) AND the much superior auto-focus capabilities).

I don't, however, wish to ignore the possibilities or more glass in the future as my needs/wants/desires may change.

Any opinion is appreciated.
Eric Reagan
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 07:21:01 pm »

Are you shooting a lot of sports/action?  (Your kit seems to be set up well for that.)  If so, I can understand the autofocus concerns, which makes the 7D a reasonable consideration at this point.  I don't know that the AF accuracy is greatly enhanced over the 40D though - speed definitely is though.

I think you've got good points on both sides, which is why I guess you are seeking advice.  I'm guessing that you don't feel a need for any wide glass in your kit?

The 40D has been around for nearly 4 years, which is an eternity in DSLR years.  Kudos for sticking with it and not feeling the "need" to upgrade already.  If you've hung with the 40D this far, I figure that picking up the 7D will get you through til the next opportunity to upgrade.

I know none of this is a direct answer to your question, but that's a decision that only you can make. Hopefully, it's a little more food for though.  I think you are justified with either decision.
forkboy1965

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 03:46:35 pm »

Eric,

For the most part I have been very happy with my 40D, purchased in December of 2007.  While I don't shoot much in the way of action shots (like sports) I have found the ability to auto-focus quickly to be very helpful with my bird and insect photography, which is the bulk of my work.

In addition to the faster auto-focus system on the 7D, I'm also fond of the auto-focus zones which I believe would make the process of getting focus on smaller/more distant subjects even easier than the current single-point system in the 40D (50D, 60D, etc.).

I would much rather splurge on glass over a new camera body, but at this point the few lenses I can think of that I'd like are all pretty reasonably price: much cheaper than a new camera.  Ergo, if I know money will be an issue I think I'd rather strike while I can afford to do such and grab a body that will take me out for another four or five years.

Thanks much for your thoughtful consideration to my question.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: